Sunday, July 10, 2011

Married to the military

Almost 2 years ago, I married this cute guy I met at a club down in good ole' Milledgeville, GA. He told me he was a Marine and drove a truck, and that was all I needed to hear (and all I did hear - you know how loud those crazy clubs are!). We got engaged, he deployed, it was rough, but not all together horrible. I was still in college, living with my fabulous roomies and was totally distracted by, well, everything. Then he got back, and it's been a whirlwind - May: moved home from college. August: moved to NC. November: moved to a temporary home in VA. March: moved to our "permanent" home in VA. That's 4 moves in less than a year, folks. Crazy. Now, a year an a half after we moved into our permanent house on base, I'm starting to wonder what the future holds. Where are we going to be in a year? This is a question that has been haunting me lately. I'm a pretty flexible girl, so I don't really mind where we end up, but, I'd like to be able to plan for it. As of right now, in a year, we could be in VA with a newborn baby, we could be in south GA living in a retired military base, we could be living on the beach in California, we could be in North Carolina, I could be in any of the given places and my husband in a war zone, etc. etc. etc. The potential baby is the biggest - and scariest - factor. Do I really wanna be in Cali by myself and a newborn baby, a country away from family and many countries away from my husband? Uhh, no. Do I really wanna be in South Georgia where it's 8 million degrees 24/7 with 487% humidity (ok, maybe it's not really that hot and maybe I exaggerated on the humidity...just a bit...but you get the point)? Uhh, big time no.

But the thing about the military is that I don't get any say in anything whatsoever. Good and bad. Bad because I don't get to choose where I'll be living. Good because I don't have to choose where I'm living - meaning I don't have to decide which of the crazy places my family and I will be going. Meaning, it's not my fault if we end up somewhere awful.

Military wife life is an adventure to say the least. Hopefully I'll know in 11 months where we'll be headed in 12 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment